WEN-CON is returning this Saturday! Have you heard of it? Are you going? It’s Wenatchee’s big pop culture convention, with guest stars, vendors, artists, games, panel discussions, prizes, cosplay and lots of other cool stuff, and it all happens Saturday at the Town Toyota Center. The convention is super kid-friendly, which is good news for all you geek and gamer parents out there who want to get the whole family involved. Here are some of the things for kids to do at WEN-CON:
- A costume contest for kids at noon, with PRIZES! (They can wear store-bought costumes or homemade ones. The point is just to let them walk across the stage with an official emcee announcing them.)
- The Force Academy. Unleash the force within you in this all-new experience coming to WEN-CON, sponsored by our friends at Ki Fighting Concepts. In this fun-filled adventure, students will learn to build their own training light saber and be trained by instructor Rey in its use. Students will be taught to overcome their fears and the training session will culminate in a controlled battle against a character from the dark side of the force. This is an event that will truly create memories to last a lifetime. May the force be with you.
- The Galactic Alliance. Join the Force with this group that is everything-Star Wars, with amazing costumes!
- The Imperial Outlanders. The Imperial Outlanders will be joining The Galactic Alliance and The Force Academy for an amazing day at WEN-CON!
- A real-life Ninja Turtle will be there! Jeremy Howard portrays Donatello, the bo staff wielding brother who dons the color purple, in the comic book foursome that became a world renowned property.
- Local magician Jason Sims will perform a family-friendly show.
- A 1966 Batmobile
- The Batman Climbing Wall
- North Central Regional Library Pop-Up event, where fans can chat with librarians, do some crafts, get reading recommendations, check out the library’s new 3-D printer and relax in a comfy area with a story.
- Meet some children’s authors and illustrators of children’s books. (Full list of guests is here.)
- Crucifiction Games is a family-friendly game company and will have dozens and dozens of board games to play. They will also have game gurus on hand to teach how to play any of the games. There will be a mixture of well-known games and new games to learn and play.
- ARTOO 1.5 (a fun little R2D2 guy) will be wandering around saying hello. (He’s very friendly and young kids love him!)
- Totally Spun – Stop by Totally Spun and whip up some interactive spin art for yourself. They will also be selling original canvas art. This is great fun for all ages!
- Stuffed animals, comic books, anime toys, all kinds of toys!
- LocalTel – stop by for a balloon.
- Lunch at the Grill Zone, Soup n Wraps, Dogs n Spuds and WEN-CON PIcnic Area.
- The 501st Legion will be appearing (Star Wars). Fun to see and take pictures with them.
- Bring food donations for a chance to win prizes and help out local food pantries.
Tickets cost $18 for ages 11 and up, and just $5 for kids 4-10. Little geeks and gamers 3 and younger get in for free. Purchase tickets online or at partner locations.
So are you going? Let us know!
(Wenatchee World file photos/Mike Bonnicksen. TOP: Maya Gormley, 6-months old, dressed as Wonder Woman for WEN-CON 2017. BOTTOM: WEN-CON, Wenatchee’s first pop culture convention, happened at Town Toyota Center on April 8, 2017.)