I rolled into January with what I think might be a December Hangover. I’m feeling a little like the weather lately… dead and cold inside. Just kidding. Sort of.
Joyfully passing the time through January can be a struggle for moms. It’s too cold for the kids to play outside, we’re broke and living off the gift cards we received over Christmas, our toddlers still can’t figure out how to get their thumb correctly into their mittens, and our teenagers refuse to wear snow boots even after 4 feet of snow just fell.
I’ll share a few of the things that are helping me out this month:
1. Mrs. Meyers Multi Surface Cleaner. The best stuff you’ll ever clean with. I’ve been hooked for years, and you should still be able to purchase their seasonal scents if you hurry. I’m using the Peppermint and the Orange Clove right now. Every woman should receive aromatherapy while she cleans.
2. Our local library. Do you read? You should. Do it. I just finished a two-day obsession with Nora Roberts’ “The Search,” and currently have six books waiting for me on my desk. North Central Regional Library is a great place for kids, too. Our 8-year-old is passionate about reading, and our library is a great place for her to research and check out her favorite chapter books.
3. Coloring. Have you followed the crowd yet? Adult coloring is in, and they have the books to prove it. Hooked On Toys has a wide assortment.
4. The Pioneer Woman. I recently purchased her cookbook and appreciate the colorful step-by-step photos for each recipe. I spent three hours making her delicious Orange Sweet Rolls today, so excited to present them to my littles as an after-school treat. Just two out of my six children liked the sweet delicacies I had slaved over. Story of every mom’s life.
5. Rimmel 16-hour Kiss Proof Lip Colour. While I can’t afford the $50 long-lasting lip color everyone is into right now, this brand does the job for $6.99. There’s something about rockin’ crazy hair and pajamas at noon while wearing a smokin’ shade of smudge-proof lipstick.
6. Narcos. Ok, so it’s not necessarily helping me this month, but it is entertaining me. Based on the true story of the Columbian drug cartel, this Netflix show has all the real grit that a good documentary holds. Do they EVER catch Pablo Escobar? Sshhh… don’t tell us.
One by one, my neighbors have unplugged their Christmas lights and bid farewell to the holiday season. “I think it’s time to turn off our lights,” my husband said a few days ago. “You’re killing my joy,” I told him. Just weeks ago, I was gleefully piling boxes of brand new colorful bulbs into my shopping cart, jacked up on 16 cups of coffee and ready to get this show on the road. Christmas lights! YES! I wanted to wrap our vehicles in them, each little rock in our driveway, even my children. We didn’t get that far, but you get my point. While the houses high on the hill still gleam their Christmas spirit, we pulled the plug on ours yesterday. Cheers to a brand new year. And remember — be kind to yourself.